Wednesday, October 12, 2011

No... I'm really not white

In the last few years social media has become the new interface for people to interact.  Conversations that would normally occur over coffee or over AIM chat (wow do people still use AIM??) now happen in a public forum.  There are those that don't understand the usefulness of twitter.  One thing I really like about twitter is has allowed me to engage with people from all over DC that I would not know otherwise.  The downside to twitter is that people can select one tweet out of context and let their imaginations run wild.

Ms V is very conscience of the fact that everything put into the twitterverse, this blog, or anything in the public realm is up for grabs to be quoted, emailed, retweeted, facebook,  and even misinterpreted.  So since I have followers who love to analyze my tweets, Ms V wants to clarify a tweet.

I was waiting at the bus stop for the circulator and bumped into a neighbor from Fairfax Village.  I told him I was waiting for the circulator to which the following exchange happened, which I then tweeted (tweeted version below hence the incomplete sentences)

Neighbor: you know why they put the Circulator over here right? It's for the white people
Me: NO. Don't even tell that lie. It's here b/c vocal EOTR residents demanded it. Route isn't perfect, but we have one.
My followers latched onto what my neighbor said because of course there is a theme of dog parks, cupcakes, bike lanes, and circulators are for white people.   The joke for a few more tweets was that I clearly must be white since I ride the circulator, use bike share, eat organic food, have a MacBook, etc.  I even played along and said "I AM white".  Well in case it isn't painfully obvious, I am actually black. *GASP*.  It was a facetious twitter conversation.

So let us all take a deep breath and not take ourselves too seriously on twitter.

On a related note: my black neighbors in Fairfax Village want dog parks, places to buy organic food, circulator, and other amenities that other parts of the city enjoy. Congress Heights on the Rise had a great post about the need for a dog park East of the River.  The 375 members of Black Women Bike DC will tell you they'd like to see more bike lanes and infrastructure in the minority communities that still lack them.  Just sayin.... 


  1. Funny. When I started blogging many years ago people thought I was a white gay man. Wrong on all points.
    The AfAm community is diverse, too bad many of us can't accept that.

  2. Here, here, Mari! It's unfortunate that Ms. V had to even write this post. It took her away from more important tasks.