Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Aya Community Markets is a farmers market and holistic health experience founded by Dreaming Out Loud, Inc. On Saturday August 29th we will be partnering with the Community Health Planning and Policy Development Section of the American Public Health Association (APHA) for a special Health and Wellness Fair at Pennsylvania Avenue Baptist Church (3000 Pennsylvania Avenue SE).
Features of the Day:
- fresh local produce, handmade crafts and natural body products
- health screenings (blood pressure, visual acuity, body mass index, and others provided by DC Health Department’s Mobile Health Vans)
- a walking audit of the community; there’s a description below (click the link to signup: http://walkingaudit.eventbrite.com/)
- live cooking/raw foods demonstration
- health activity demonstration
- SNAP benefit signup and outreach
Schedule of Events:
11am – Market Opens
11:30am-1:00pm – First Walking Audit Group Tour
1:00pm – Live Cooking Demonstration
1:30pm-3:00pm – Second Walking Audit Group Tour
3:00pm – Health Screenings Conclude
5:00pm – Market Concludes
Help us promote the event on Facebook.
More Info About the Walking Audit:
Click link to signup for the audit: http://walkingaudit.eventbrite.com/
This walking audit is being designed by Dean Bradford Grant from the Howard School of Architecture and Design, Carlton Eley of the Environmental Protection Agency, and Anthony Delucia from the Built Environment Working Group of the American Public Health Association.
Its purpose is to document and discuss features of the built environment and the streetscape that inhibit or promote healthy lifestyles of its residents. The final 30 minutes of the audit will be back at Aya Community Markets and will include a discussion among participants of what they saw and what they think this means for the health of residents and potential next steps to advocate for needed programs or policies.