The meeting started with an complex presentation on the guidelines for redistricting by the Office of Planning. There wasn't a power point presentation. The representative ( I missed her name) read from the guide.
After the guide, the Office of Planning representative went through the population and housing changes. There was a question regarding the 400 person discrepancy between the reported new Ward 7 population based on redistricting and the calculated population when you subtract Marbury Plaza and add the DC Jail. The question was noted.
The meeting got confusing during the discussion of process. CM Alexander suggested that each ANC meet separately to discuss what they want. Office of Planning mentioned having everyone together. The Task Force Chair (Ed Potillo) and Co-Chair (Angela Thompson Murphy)
A preliminary report will be available on August 1st. *SNARK ALERT #2: Ummmmmmmm what the heck is going to be in the report? *
There was an opportunity for people to ask questions or make suggestions.
- DC Jail:
- Will it be its own Single Member District (SMD) or will it be split with non-jail population?
- How do you represent the DC Jail? CM Alexander stated they have representation now.
- John Capozzi clarified that DC Jail is a SMD, but there is no ANC Commissioner for the SMD.
- Precinct Boundaries:
- Will boundaries be done before or after the primaries? Board of Elections and Ethics (BOEE) stated they won't be redrawn until after the primaries.
- ANC 7A:
- Requests that the schools have representation from the community included in the ANC
- ANC 7B:
- How soon will Maps be available? CM Alexander stated they are currently available online, but paper copies will be available at the next meeting.
- 7B is losing 2 commissioners to Ward 8, will 7B have to expand or can it continue forward with 5 commissioners instead of 7?
- No comment
- Would Reservation 13 be a new SMD or would it be split up? Would it be added to 7D01?
- Suggests the shoe horn of 7D06 go to 7A
- Are the intersections and side streets included in the boundary description? Ed Potillo stated they will try to follow main corridors to the extent possible.
- Requested at next meeting to put maps on a powerpoint slide.
- Resident (man, 30s) stated he was very upset at the poor organization of the meeting. He stated that although maps are available online, paper copies should have been available for people who do not have internet access. *Amen, my brother*