Sunday, June 19, 2011

Brakes and chains and tires.... Oh My

The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) held a free Bike repair clinic in Ms. V's stomping grounds. Ms V put on the bike helmet and biked to the parking lot of Skyland Shopping Center. In case you are wondering, the 'fro does fit under a helmet. A squished 'fro is better than a squashed brain (just saying).

Throughout the afternoon, volunteers repaired well over 20 bikes. Most repairs were tire or chain related. Ms V tried to stay out of the way, but if you know me then you know I couldn't resist talking to people.

Ms V talked to an older gentleman who said he decided to get his bike out the basement for repair so he can ride again. He wants to see more bike racks East of the River (I promised I didn't plant that seed..... *snicker*). One woman said she wants to see more safety improvements for bicyclists and pedestrians (That wasn't me either.... or was it?)

The best part of the day was being able to talk to the young people. Some little boys were just sitting watching. Others helped WABA volunteers with the bike repairs. Even the little girls jumped in on the bike repair action.

It was a great afternoon. I got a few people on video. Some teaser photos below. For more photos visit the HCCA Transportation Committee blog (shameless promotion of the committee)





No comments:

Post a Comment