Thursday, December 16, 2010

Working on her fitness

(Photo from Pure Fitness spa)

I got the following email today:
Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette M. Alexander will begin a health fitness challenge in conjunction with Yes! Organic Market and Chapman Development LLC on Monday, December 20. The kick-off event will take place at 3 p.m. at the Yes! Organic store located at 2323 Pennsylvania Ave., S.E. Councilmember Alexander will begin an exercise and healthy eating regimen that will showcase her working out in several athletic facilities throughout the ward. Her personal goal will be to lose weight while encouraging Ward 7 residents to join her in the crusade to promote a healthier lifestyle. As a part of this effort a trainer will host free group sessions for one month at a Ward 7 recreation center.

“I think the effort to have a more balanced and healthier diet plus frequent exercise leads to better health overall. This is why I have teamed up with Yes! Organic to start and stay with a healthy eating and exercise regimen for myself and to promote a healthy diet to all,” said Alexander. “Not only am I challenging myself but I am also putting the call out to residents of Ward 7 and the District of Columbia to join me on this journey.”

Councilmember Alexander, who will be training with personal trainers, will post her exercise schedule at the various locations in Ward 7 so residents can join the challenge.
Kudos to Alexander for taking on this challenge. Ms V began her health journey as a New Year's Resolution in 2006. I went from a size 6 to a size 2. Granted I've never been overweight, but I was still unhealthy and dangerously approaching the borderline for Type II diabetes. One of the challenges of living in Ward 7 is access to healthy food options. On a selfish note, I hope this doesn't mean Alexander will get rid of the fried salmon cakes from her monthly Leadership breakfast. They are half of the reason why I go.

Anywho... Best of luck CM!!! Hit me up when you want to go on a bike ride or walk/run.

1 comment:

  1. While group sessions at a Ward 7 recreation center sound nice, that doesn't mean that the time of the group sesssions will be convenient to a number of Ward 7 residents. It would be nice if the Councilmember and Yes! Organic would provide a number of individual sessions with a personal trainer for Ward 7 residents - maybe 12 sessions for 5 people? It would help those who cannot make group sessions, be a great outreach, and be strong encouragement for a healthier lifestyle in Ward 7.

    ReplyDelete