Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wednesday Stew: What's Cooking

Vacant Lot on 38th -
Technically this is an open item, but there is a new spin. I initially blogged about the vacant lot on 38th Street last year. I thought I was getting somewhere with Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. However, it's a year later and that lot has only gotten worse with overgrown vegetation and the construction fence is still in the public space. I've been bounced back and forth between DCRA and Department of Public Works. Miss V is wonder if we could just do a guerrilla garden there. Get everyone in Fairfax Village and the homes next door. We can clean it out ourselves and plant some flowers. Then paint the foundation that remains there. "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission."

Fairfax Village Shopping Center - I almost don't even feel like talking about this stupid shopping center anymore. My neighbor and I met with Councilmember K. Brown on Sunday to talk about out issues with the center. CM Brown said he's going to work on bypassing the property manager to get in touch with the owners. Some good news is we are getting a new convenience store where Village Pantry Deli was located. It should be open early September. I told my source to encourage the new owner to go to Cornercopia located near the Navy Yard to get some ideas of how a mini-mart can be nice.

Street Repair - I'm still off-roading on my block. My neighbor is almost done collecting signatures for the petition for speed humps. There are only a few people who don't want them.

3970 Pennsylvania Ave SE - No update.

Public-Private Partnership Possible - A meeting has been scheduled between the public agency and the Community Association Board. Hopefully this will be the first of many meetings that leads to a partnership. Yes, I realize I'm being vague.

None at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment