Thursday, May 27, 2010

East meets Southeast

I had dinner tonight with my neighbors at the new Thai restaurant that opened earlier this week. Thai Orchid located at 2314 Pennsylvania Ave (where Granny's Kitchen used to be) is the newest addition to our "Places to Eat" East of the River.

During the construction, one of my neighbors informed us the restaurant was coming, however, they were installing plexiglass. After that neighbor asked them to reconsider their decision, they did NOT install the plexiglass. The inside is quaint with a blend of Thai and Western cultures. They could stand to add more tables and chairs, but maybe that will come with time.

The food is EXCELLENT. For appetizers we had Spring Rolls. Be warned, they are temperature hot. I ate Chicken Pad See Eww for my entree. My neighbors had Chicken Pad Thai and Seafood Vegetables. For dessert we shared Fried Bananas with Honey and Mango with Sticky Rice. I had a Thai Tea to drink. It was all DA-LISH.

The downside to Thai Orchid is the location. There is plenty of parking next to Twining Square, however, we had to go across the bridge and come back to go eastbound on Pennsylvania Ave SE. I'm sure there is an easier way, but if so, it's not intuitive.

I'll definitely be back for some good Thai food.


  1. looks very good. will have to give it a try myself for taste!

  2. I would like to say welcome, to our new neighbors (Thai Orchids)...excited to have you..REALLY! Their food and service are great. If you are not familiar with Thai fare, try their Thai ice tea, for starters.

    Now, I can finally relax and have a great meal, East of the River instead of tracking to Eastern Market.