Friday, May 21, 2010

At least I learned something

Miss V attended the Ward 7 Townhall/Crime Summit with a small posse of residents from Fairfax Village. Knowing that everyone would have on their suits, Miss V decided dress militant. I had on my "For Freedom Rise Up" t-shirt, jeans, and chuck taylors. I even wore the blown out afro. If I could find my keffiyeh, I would have worn that too. Miss V is ridiculous for no reason, but enough about me.

It must be election season, because the crews were OUT. Councilmember-at-large Brown had his people right at the door. Councilmember Gray had a table manned by several gray-haired people with t-shirts. As a side note, Gray needs to figure out how to get some younger people campaigning for him. Just saying. Councilmember-at-large candidate Clark Ray had his crew their too. No one from the Green Machine, or whatever it's called, was there. **raises brow**

The evening started with everyone giving a four-minute introduction on what their department does and their role in the public safety arena. My big take away is there too many cooks in the kitchen and too many pipes in the pipeline. I "think" after having a personalized explanation that I'm clear on the distinction between the US Attorney's Office and the Office of the Attorney General. In my little opinion, it seems like an offender changes "hands" too many times between the time he/she is brought to the police station and their trial date.

My ears perked up when Susan Shaffer, Director of Pretrial Services Agency, mentioned that typically offenders are released if they are not a flight risk and do not pose a danger to the community. Typically the release agreements include not getting arrested again before trial. **side-eye** Miss V jumped all over that one considering there is a resident of Fairfax Village who has was arrested TWICE in the last two weeks on felony charges and he's probably chilling outside in front of his building now.

After the meeting ended, two judges and a staff person from pretrial services approached me to find out more information. Who knew that I was that interesting? **shrugs**. All-in-all, I'm glad I went.

1 comment:

  1. Pretrial service agencies are the worst form of release. They have the highest failure to appear rates and the highest rates of recidivism...all at the expense of taxpayers who pay for these organizations. Commercial bail which is financially secure release is the most effective form of release...bail agents watch and monitor defendants and ensure they show up to court. If you want the facts on pretrial release than visit and get the FREE whitepaper, Taxpayer Funded Pretrial Release - A Failed System."