Thursday, April 8, 2010

Good things come to Ward 7

Miss V stood in the heat of the day for the ribbon-cutting for Ray's the Steaks East River. It was one of those days where I couldn't stop smiling. To see the pride in the face of the elders of the community was probably the most touching moment for me. One of the community elders embraced me and said "Child, you don't know how long I waited for this day."

This day brought out the Mayor and Councilmembers Gray, Alexander, and K. Brown. Putting my feelings for Fenty aside, I thought he gave a great speech. He spoke from his heart and meant it. Gray added a little comedy. Alexander, looking flawless as always, seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. K. Brown was... well K. Brown. He is one of the most down-to-earth politicians I know.

Michael Landrum, a man who started as a poor busboy to rise to successful restaurateur, gave the final speech. He is currently employing 18 people from Wards 7 and 8. Eventually through his job training program, he will employ 40 people from Wards 7 and 8. He talked about people from West of the River and West of the Park crossing the bridge to come East of the River. The words "East of the River" never sounded so good.

Fenty giving his speech

Gray talking about a job "Well Done" (pun intended)

K. Brown giving his two cents

Two young high school ladies I recruited on the street to join the festivities.

Smiling at good things to come

K. Brown being K. Brown

Valet... yes that's how we do it in the 7

Inside.... I can't wait for my first meal

No comments:

Post a Comment