Friday, March 5, 2010

Don't talk about it, be about it - Part 2


Last night I attended the College and Career Connection Valentine's Day Fundraiser. I will admit that I wasn't in the mood to attend. I'm not a huge fan of fundraisers, because often times the money really isn't going to anything that will positively impact the community. In addition, I've observed that some organizations throw fundraisers so they can fund programs that do not even relate to the mission of the organization.

I am glad that I got over my apprehension. The College and Career Connections organization is really doing some positive things in Ward 7. I love that they have identified the problem, established metrics to measure their effectiveness and they have a clear mission with programs that directly support that mission. Apparently their grant funding is slowly evaporating and they are looking for monetary so they can continue to serve the children of Ward 7.

In November, I issued a challenge for people to step up and be mentors to college-bound high school seniors living in Wards 7 and 8. To my knowledge only ONE of my readers signed up (BTW it's not too late to sign up). College and Career Connections is also looking for people to talk to the kids about their careers, host site visits to their job, and serve on their Board of Directors. I issue a second "Don't talk about it, be about it" challenge. We all have one hour out of our lives that we can spare to talk to the kids. This is OUR community and we all need to do our part to help raise OUR kids.

Please visit their website at http://collegeandcareerconnections.org/ to learn more about how to get involved.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting this out there! Our start up funding is being phasing out, and we have great opportunities to serve Ward 7 students, but we need support - funding and volunteers - to make it happen!

    Deann Ayer
    CCC's Executive Director

    ReplyDelete