Congress Heights on the Rise has a great blog post about Slick Willy Fenty. Apparently while she was shopping at the Congress Height's Giant, someone asked her to sign a petition to recall Mayor Fenty. There is a buzz around town that Slick Willy Fenty doesn't care about us East of the River. I've also heard that he doesn't have to care because: 1) we don't vote and 2) he doesn't need our votes**raises brow**. A very power tool to "control" people is to tell a lie, tell it often, and the people will eventually believe it.
Miss V questions everything. I looked at the voter turn out for the 2002, 2004, 2006, and 2008 elections available on the DC Board of Elections and Ethics website... Here are some truths:
- In 2004 and 2008 primary election Ward 7 and Ward 8 had the 2nd and 3rd highest voter turn-out, respectively. (Note: the link for the 2006 primaries is not working).
- In the 2004 and 2008 primaries, Wards 7 and 8 comprised 31% and 28% of the total votes, respectively. (Note: the link for the 2006 primaries is not working).
- In the general elections from 2002-2006, Ward 7 had the 5th for highest voter turn-out.
- In the 2008 general elections, Ward 7 had the 4th highest voter turn-out.
- Ward 7 has the 3rd highest number of registered voters (as of November 2009)
- Wards 7 and 8, make up 24% of the registered voters (as of November 2009).
We have a little less than 6 months to send a message to Slick Willy. In my little DCtopia, Wards 7 and 8 would have a record high voter turn out and unanimously not vote for Fenty. Even if Fenty is re-elected, think about how powerful of a message that would send. We can continue to accept the okie doke from this administration, or we can hold them accountable and fight for what we believe.