Sunday, March 7, 2010

Beware of the company you keep

Oh Slick Willy Fenty.... I want to offer my apologies. I did give my word that I was going to find you new friends. However, I failed to fulfill that promise. Now even the Washington Post, who I thought loved you unconditionally, is questioning your affiliations. In a four page article, the Washington Post provides a detailed analysis of the mayor's friends and how they profited from the City.

Is it so wrong to help your friends dig themselves out of financial troubles and build successful businesses? On the surface it doesn't seem like such a bad thing. However, when you dig deeper, one must raise their brow. The article suggests that there was some "strong-arming" involved, i.e. use my people or else. Several developers who spoke on anonymously for fear of backlash from the Fenty Administration detail conversations they had with Fenty's people. In a nutshell, developers would have a hard time winning government contracts without using Fenty's people.

Well, I really don't know what else to say, but this is a good opportunity to use come overused cliches:
  • Those who sleep with dogs will rise with fleas
  • What you do in the dark will come to light
  • Power corrupts; Absolute power corrupts absolutely
  • You reap what you sow

1 comment:

  1. Looks like despite his unwillingness to acknowledge Marion Barry as his political progenitor..his behavior in office is very much the same