Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Any day now

I remember when I was 12, I had a penpal who lived in Israel. I would run home from school and race to the mailbox. At the tender age of 12, I thought the anticipation might kill me. When the letter arrived, true to a teenager's mindset, I would put the mail back in the mailbox and run inside with my letter. That's how I feel about the Census.

The commercials and handouts all said that Census would be mailed out early March. Everyday, since the 1st, I make a mad dash to my mailbox. I was actually starting to get concerned that they didn't want to count me. I was all prepared to write a blog post about the conspiracy to not count people East of the River. Then today I get a letter in the mail from the US Census Bureau telling me not to fret and my Census form will be here shortly. **phew... wipes brow**

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have relied on Census data at every job I've worked. I used Census data to dole out MILLIONS of dollars in funding, analyze issues related to civil rights and environmental justice, projected development potential of a neighborhood and estimated infrastructure needs in the future.

Be on the lookout for your Census form. FILL IT OUT and MAIL IT BACK. **yes I'm yelling**


  1. I thought they forgot about me too and mine came today! My first census form - I am pretty jazzed about it.

  2. You didn't do the Census in 2000? I remember filling it out on my dorm room.

  3. What's up with the letter they sent saying they were going to send the census next week? I'm a little miffed about the waste of paper on that one...

  4. I guess so people like me wouldn't freak out. LOL.