Monday, February 22, 2010

Leo Alexander gets real

On Saturday, Mayoral Candidate Leo Alexander held a meet and greet with the River East Bloggers and the community at large. Not really having the stomach for politics, I thought this was going to be a stuffy, let's shake hands meet and greet. To my surprise it was a real down home discussion about the issues we face in Wards 7 and 8 and Mr. Alexander's vision for DC.

At the request of the Advoc8te, Mr. Alexander told his story. Despite the fancy suits and low-cut Ceasar with the deep waves, he comes from humble beginnings. His family was on welfare and food stamps. He even said there was a period of time when he was living in a car or a van or a something that wasn't a house. While I don't share that background, I appreciate the connection. It shows that he can relate to some of the issues we live with on a daily basis.

The upstairs room of Big Chair Coffee was packed. I had to leave early to get my dogs out of daycare (yes daycar... whatever... don't judge me). I was intrigued by what Mr. Alexander has to say and i look forward to hearing more (deja vu?). There are people concerned about his lack of experience. However, a political "outsider" is what we need. You can't clean house with a dirty mop.

I wonder if Slick Willy Fenty will have a sit down with the River East bloggers **Kanye shrug**.


1 comment:

  1. It was great to Meet Leo! I have become a very big fan of his over night.
    The Debutante!

    ReplyDelete