Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hindsight is 20/20

Despite the fact that this snow isn't going away until summer, it's a good time to reflect on everything that transpired and the lessons learned from the week. I mentioned more times than necessary that I lived in Upstate New York for 2.5 years. Though I braved 2 winters up there, I still learned from Snowmageddon and Snoverkill. Here's what I learned:

  1. Keep cash in the house - I am one of those people that NEVER has cash on me. If I can't use my debit card or my American Express, I'm not interested. I learned that CASH is king in a blizzard. Cash will get a teenager to clean off your car. Cash will get a bobcat to dig out your garage.
  2. Buy a bottle a wine for every 6 inches of snow - It snowed 20 inches which is equivalent to 3.5 bottles of wine. I had 3 bottles. I had to ration the last bottle. NOT COOL.
  3. Forget about toilet paper, stock up on DVDs - After two days of being stuck in the house, the Law & Order Special Victims Unit marathons just wouldn't cut it anymore.
  4. Buy a shovel - I live in a condo, so it is my expectation that our maintenance crew will take care of snow removal. Clearly, I gave them too much credit. We JUST got all the snow removed from our sidewalks this past Monday night. Um... nevermind I'm taking this off this list. See number 1, have cash to pay a teenager.
  5. Always be neighborly - I know a lot of my neighbors because I'm always outside walking my dogs. As a result of my naturally friendly disposition, my neighbors came through for me in a clutch. One loaned me $20 (see number 1), one invited me over to drink wine (see number 2), and one drove me to Negril Eatery so I could get a beef patty with cocobread.
  6. Always keep gifts from your parents no matter how bizarre you think it might be, because deep down they are always concerned about your needs - This is probably the MOST important lesson for me. My dad has always been known to give weird Christmas gifts. One year he gave me ski pants, despite I haven't skied in 10 years. Those pants stayed in the depths of my closet for the last five years. Another year he gave me this really ugly winter coat with a hood. Hated it. He also gave me these really big and bulky winter gloves. Despite that all of the items took up valuable real estate in my little condo, I've kept them all these years. I wore every last one of them last week. I called my dad everyday last week to let him know how much I loved him.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, your sidewalks were free of snow as of Monday night?! In VI, our perimeter wasn't cleared until Tuesday, and as of this morning at 5:30 am, our interior sidewalks still need to be cleared! While I'm hopeful that they will be by the time I return home today, I just don't think it will happen...

    I was surprised, I must say, that the perimeter sidewalks did finally get cleared, instead of leaving that ridiculously small path.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan... The bobcat was out Monday night doing the perimeter. The sidewalk b/w us and Village V still needs to be cleared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best snow related post I've seen. Agreed on all, esp. the DVDs and wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?!?! No mention of Bread and Milk?? How can you weather the storm without these (you did mention T.P.)?

    ReplyDelete