Without bogging you down in the detailed (and at some moments comical) discussion, below are the basic arguments
Arguments for the Race is Good:
- Brings visibility to Ward 7
- Provides Ward 7 residents with an opportunity to see the marathon
- Opportunity for Ward 7 business to make money (raises brow on this one)
- Fosters Community
Arguments for the Race is Bad:
- Cuts off access for Ward 7 residents
- Some Metro Bus services are suspended, which makes it difficult for public transportation dependent residents to get around
- Residents can't park on the street in an area where parking is already limited
I personally don't think the arguments on either side are pretty strong. One solution that was proposed was to alternate the location of the starting point. Because we are at the end of the race, we have the longest road closure (up to 4 hours). Where the roads towards the start of the race are only closed for an hour or two.
Although it is a pain in the butt for one day, I'm just honored that we are even on the route.