Sunday, January 31, 2010

How low can you go???


The Washington Post (aka Wapo) had an article in today's paper on Mayor Fenty's rapidly dropping approval ratings. I can't say that the results are shocking. Congress Heights on the Rise conducted an informal poll last week that yielded similar results. I make no bones about the fact that I'm in the Anybody-but-Fenty camp.

My reason for not liking Fenty is a very simple one.... Let's say I overlook his selection of Michele Rhee as the School Chancellor, who I'm embarrassed to say is a fellow Cornell Alum **shaking my head**. Let's say I pretend that he isn't careful in selecting the company of people he keeps **raises brow**. Let's say I ignore the fact that he is out of touch with what the real issues in my neighborhood. Let's say I even put behind the ongoing power struggle between the Mayor and the Council.... there is still one reason above all others that is the root of all my issues with the Mayor.

My biggest issue with Major Fenty is his lack of humility. Proverbs 11:2 (NIV) says "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." Mayor Fenty has run this City with disregard to the people that elected him and with disregard to the Council the people elected to represent them. His arrogance has led to in-fighting in the City's Executive Branch of government. National's Tickets??? Really???

As a leader, there are times when you have to make unpopular decisions. The difference between a good leader and Mayor Fenty is a good leader will justify why they felt that was the best decision where Mayor Fenty feels an explanation isn't needed. Mayor Fenty's standard answer is "I don't have to answer that" (believe me he's said it enough, that I mute the TV when it's time for Fenty on FOX). A Mayor that isn't accountable to the people?

I encourage the Mayor to search his soul and have a large helping of humble pie between now and the primaries. A great quote by C.S. Lewis, “A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you're looking down, you can't see something that's above you.”

2 comments:

  1. The fact is that east of the river is looking better than it has in the 40 years. You have new buildings, most of the graffitti and trash is gone, Saint Es is getting a new life, a new 11th street bridge and Pennsyvania is coming. The schools are better. Marion Barry didn't do that...ever. Vincent Gray can't even manage his own household repairs. Personally,I can live with a sorry excuse for a personality.This anti Fenty noise is going to give us Jack Evans as mayor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me I'm not a fan of Barry. You are right, there have been improvements East of the River. Most of the new construction that is going on in Wards 7 and 8 was initiated under the Williams Administration.

    ReplyDelete