Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The way I see it, you aren't my issue in 5 years

Well... it's no secret. Fairfax Village has a drug problem. We have two drug hot spots (38th and Alabama; and W Street). In addition, we have the dopeboy who makes his rounds... (who knew dealers made house calls?). Despite that I don't like have any crime in my neighborhood, I will at least give the dopeboys credit... they do keep to themselves and don't like to draw attention.

As I look at these young brothers, all I can do is shake my head. Sure the money is good NOW. The reality is no one has ever made a fruitful career out of drugdealing... (well minus the pharma companies... hehe). These young men (teenage to early 20s) will either be dead or in jail in the next five years. It's real sad....

How do we fix the problem? How do we give these young men a future?

2 comments:

  1. We do not have to give those young men anything. If they want a future for themselves, they have to take the initiative and figure it out for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idle hands are the devil's workshop!

    That quote seems very relevant as activities for kids in the inner city seem to be non-existent. Outside of school and few after school activities, often times kids have nothing to do and thus end up hanging in the streets. Hanging in the streets with nothing to do, leaves the street life to be the biggest influence on an impressionable child.

    Naturally, there is no quick fix to the problem facing young black men (and young girls) in this society however some things that I think could help would be: community center's (with sufficient programs) that stays open till at least midnight, and a greater push towards teaching trades in high school.

    ReplyDelete