Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oh God Bless the Catholics

Oh this same-sex marriage thing has a new twist. The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington has threaten to withhold almost $10 million in funding to social programs in DC. Let me disclose that for all intents and purposes, I'm Catholic. I was raised in the Catholic Church.... I've gone through all the relevant sacraments and even sponsored someone in becoming Catholic... Hopefully this blog post won't get me excommunicated... LMAO.

While I respect the church's position on same-sex marriage, I'm not sure how I feel about this ultimatum. On the one hand, it's their money and they can do what they want with it. Just like any organization you want to support programs and initiatives that are aligned with your mission.

However, is the church willing to make the recipients of these social programs suffer? I mean we are talking about programs for the homeless and adoption. Doesn't the Catholic Church have other issues to deal with... like declining membership in the churches or saving some souls? I know when I go to St. Francis on Penn Ave SE, the church is empty.

I guess the real question is "What would Jesus do?"

1 comment:

  1. I think Jesus would love everyone and treat them with respect, but I don't think He would allow gay marriage ceremonies in the temples. Maybe He would, but I doubt it.

    I'm sorry for all the people depending on Catholic Charities for their social programs, but I respect the Church for standing its ground. I'm ok with secular organizations conforming to the world, but I don't know if I want a 2,000 year-old religious instituion changing with the wind as well.

    ReplyDelete