Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Who's in your neighborhood?

I just got this email through the Hillcrest listserv

Hello Hillcrest,
I just wanted to pass on the news that Curtis Christopher Robinson, Tuskegee Airman and Hillcrest resident ,died at the age of 90 on October 12th. Some of us met him in 2006 through his neighbor George Norfleet who was helping him promote his book, "A Pilot's Journey". Mr. Robinson agreed to put his yard on the garden tour that year, and several neighbors worked with him to get his gardens ready.

Mr. Norfleet asked me to pass on the news of Mr. Robinson's death, along with his obituary with funeral arrangements. See

In my hometown in NJ, there was a Tuskegee Airman who went to my church. He and I sat and talked for hours about being an airman and the desire to fly. I remember that conversation like it was yesterday. I sat in awe. I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Robinson, but reading his obituary, he seemed like a remarkable man. I will be ordering my copy of Mr. Norfleet's book. THIS is the type of history that I get excited about. It would be nice if the media would do spotlights on living legends in DC.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I wish I had a chance to meet this fellow.