Monday, September 14, 2009

Who?

I got an email this weekend through my neighborhood listserv announcing that Mr. Leo Alexander is entering the 2010 DC Mayoral Race. Who? I've never heard of him before. I won’t be able to attend Mr. Alexander’s kick-off event tonight, but thanks to Google I was able to get some information on Mr. Alexander.

You can read his bio on Wikipedia at your leisure. Let’s get to the good stuff that I found….

Apparently, Mr. Alexander used to write for the website dcwatch.com. In reading some of his posts, on the website, it looks like he has some fire in his belly. He appears to be a tell it like it is type of person. I can respect that. Here are some excerpts from one of his posts:

On May 6, 2007, Mr. Alexander writes (these are just excerpts):

“I bring race up again in this piece, because on Saturday, May 5, I read for the umpteenth time another editorial in the Post on the tragic murder of David Rosenbaum. Here is how racist policies left unchecked come back to haunt all of us. At one time, there were seven vocational education schools in the District of Columbia. Today, there are none. Does that mean all of our children are now college bound?”

“We are failing our children. You don’t need to be a criminologist to connect the dots between the cuts to recreation and vocational education to the rise in juvenile crime statistics. And it matters not that these kids don’t look like you, or live in your neighborhood.”

In 2007 Mr. Alexander, was quoted in the Washington Post regarding residents of Ward 3 being serviced by Montgomery County emergency services.

"How does the most affluent ward in the District get a sweetheart deal with Montgomery County while the rest of the wards get cut out?" asked Leo Alexander, 42, a real estate investor who lives east of the park outside the squad's service area and is pushing to end the practice.

A little more digging and I found Mr. Alexander's old blog. Though he only has a few entries, it seems that he's not afraid to deal with issues of race head on. It appears that he make no apologies for who he is or how he thinks. I can respect that.

For now, Mr. Alexander has my attention. I hope that he’ll be making some trips to River East to learn about our issues and our bold visions.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Alexander is not the only candidate who will challenge Mr. Fenty in the 2010 election for there is a woman who entered the scene. We'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooooooooh... I'm all ears when you are ready to spill the beans...(sitting on edge of seat)

    ReplyDelete