Thursday, September 17, 2009

So he has a vision... tell me more!!!

I know that it is VERY early in the DC Mayoral race. However, as someone who is in the "Anyone-but-Fenty" camp, I am very intrigued to learn more about the newcomer Leo Alexander. I wasn't able to attend his kick-off event on Monday, but he did grant me a short phone conversation yesterday. We had just enought for him to give me the scrolling marquee version of his vision and I had a chance to give the view from 50,000 feet of the issues in River East.

One of the things that we talked about that almost had me ready to join the revolution was his plan for ending "generational poverty". The brother was speaking my language. I feel like I deal with "generational poverty" 24/7. I deal with it at work as an urban planner in Northern Virginia. I deal with it at home with all the ghetto boos living in Fairfax Village on Section 8 vouchers. One of my first blog posts was about generational poverty in public housing. From our short conversation, it seems that we share similar views on solving the issue. Lord know Fenty doesn't care.

Although, it's still a little too early for me to throw my support behind any candidate, I will say Mr. Alexander is the first politician in a looooooooong while that has gotten me excited. Mr. Alexander is not afraid to address the "elephant in the room" type of issues. I appreciated his candidness on the phone.

I'm sure that he's got a full plate as he's got a lot of work to do to become known in DC. In our conversation I told him that Wards 7 and 8 are going to be very important wards in this next mayoral race.


  1. I need to meet this guy! I'm execited!

  2. Perhaps I can set up a meeting so he can talk with all the River East bloggers... thoughts?