Friday, August 14, 2009

Your Turn

At the Fairfax Village Security Meeting, the intersection of 38th St SE and Alabama Ave SE was identified as a hot spot for criminal activity, loitering, and littering. Lt. Netter and Officer LaFrance suggested that the Fairfax Village Community Association write the Mayor for a City security camera to be installed in the public space at that intersection. I'm very happy to see that the Fairfax Village Community Association is pursuing petitioning the Mayor for the security camera.

The first step is getting the signatures of residents of Fairfax Village. That means YOU. Stop by the Condo Management Office at 3909-A Pennsylvania Ave during office hours (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM) and put your name on the petition. I know that you have to go to work and I'm sure you have 1,001 things to do in a day, but this is important. I'm heading to the office tomorrow to put down my information.

If we don't get the signatures you can only blame yourselves. If we don't do our part, you can't blame the Mayor (as much as that pains me to say).


  1. At this meeting, did the police officers offer any information about how effective those cameras are? They seem to get a bad rap in the City Paper, which suggested that they weren't good deterrents. I'm personally nervous about putting a bunch of people under surveillance without the benefit of actually reducing crime. Thoughts?

  2. They didn't provide statistics on the other crime cameras. I would be more than happy to follow up with MPD. I have mixed opinions about surveillance cameras, but I lean more on the side of "for". On the one hand it feels like an envasion of privacy to have "Big Brother" watching. However, if you are abiding by the law it shouldn't be an issue. 38th and Alabama seems to be a hot spot for armed robberies, drugs and other crimes. Even if it isn't a detterent at least it can assist in helping to catch some of the criminals.

    But... I'll contact MPD about statistics and report back.