Wednesday, August 26, 2009

If you don't know... you don't know

One of the greatest lines from Donald Rumsfield and subsequently Gin Rummy from "The Boondocks": Well, what I'm saying is that there are known knowns and that there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know.

One of the way to know the knowns is to be connected to the MPD police alerts. It's a free service that alerts you to crimes, street closings, incidents, special events and even accidents. I've been connected since December. While I will admit I don't pay much attention to the crimes unless it is in my immediate neighborhood, I can personally attest to the usefulness of knowing about street closures and accidents before getting stuck in the traffic.

MPD just sent an email to the 6th District listerv of the number of registered users by PSA. The one thing that astonishes me is the low number of registered users City-wide and the even lower numbers in MPD - 6th District. Only 319 people in MPD 6th District are registered. Only 43 registered users in PSA 606, where Fairfax Village is located. I KNOW there are more than 43 people in Fairfax Village with cellphones.

To sign up for alerts:

Registered Users by Police District
District 1 - 2950 (PSA 101 has 1272)
District 2 - 2398 (PSA 208 has 1351)
District 3 - 1349
District 4 - 1124
District 5 - 641
District 6 - 319
District 7 - 331
Total - 9112

No comments:

Post a Comment