Monday, July 13, 2009

If you want change... MAKE NOISE

Back in June, I snitched on the property owners of 3802 Suitland Road SE. A comment on that post from a fellow neighbor reminded me that I needed to followed up with the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA). I called today and the gentlemen I spoke to said they deemed the property to be vacant on June 11, 2009. They sent the property owner a letter informing them they have 30 days to register the property and comply with DC Code 42-3131.12, which is the Vacant Property Standards. The gentlemen from DCRA said that the owner's 30 days are almost up. The next step will be DCRA will send then a notice of infraction and applicable penalties.

According to DCRA's website: "DCRA has the authority to abate the violation and recover the funds by placing a lien on the property. The Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) or DC Superior Court can administer fines up to $2000 and possible incarceration of up to 90 days for properties that are not registered and maintained."

The lesson of the day is if you have a problem in your neighborhood call 3-1-1 and report it. I'm very impressed that DCRA inspected the property within 7 days of my initial complaint. I set a reminder on my blackberry to follow up with DCRA in another 30 days.
Buy Wards 7 and 8 Challenge
  • $54.13 at Giant for groceries
  • $6.00 at Subway for a 6 inch sub. (I got double meat)

Total in Wards 7/8 $257.75. Total for the month $289.91 (89% in Wards 7/8)

No comments:

Post a Comment