Friday, April 10, 2009

You live where?

When someone asks me where I live the conversation usually goes something like this...

Person: So where in DC do you live?
Me: I live in SE
Person: In Capitol Hill?
Me: No I live east of the River.
Person (with look of horror): Oh I heard about SE. What's your neighborhood called? Is it safe?
Me: I don't feel unsafe, but it's still a City. I live in Hillcrest. Fairfax Village.

This is the point where 9 times out of 10 the person gives me a blank stare. This is a such place called Fairfax Village. It is a small neighborhood of garden apartments and townhouses located in the Hillcrest area. Our little community is bound by Alabama Avenue SE to the northwest, Penn Avenue SE to the northeast, Suitland Road to the southwest, and Southern Avenue to the east.

I like to refer to my neighborhood as "the oasis in the east" and "the suburb inside of the city". We have amenities of the suburbs, like trees, grass and bunnies. Yet, we have an occasional police chase to remind us that we are still in the City. It's generally quiet and the neighbors are friendly. I can't think of any other place in DC I would rather live.

No comments:

Post a Comment